Nov 9, 2017

HOW TO ROCK CASUAL ANKARA

shayla greene, shayla drake, allthingsslim, black fashion blogger

Fall has made it's way to the South and I'm not the least bit thrilled. I am, however, thrilled that it's not too hot to rock this dope Ankara print cape. Read on for more on how to incorporate African prints into your wardrobe.




Cape: c/o Melange Mode Use code MM15SHAYLA for % off
Heels: Shoedazzle
Shirt: Missguided similar here 
Belt: Gucci
Skirt: BooHoo
Bag: Chanel similar here  Affordable version here

So recently, I received a DNA testing kit from MYHERITAGE. Because my parents (or their parents) are from the South, all that I really knew about myself was that I was a descendant of the slaves. Once I received the kit, I did  quick swab and sent back the kit in the included envelope with the label they gave me. Within 6 weeks, I got an email with my DNA estimate. Guess what guys! I'm 38% Nigerian which is super cool. The rest of my African is from Sierra Leon and North Africa. It's so cool to finally have a better idea of where my ancestors came from before the Slave trade. In addition to my African DNA, I also had ancestry from Europe which wasn't surprising, although I'd always thought it was French. It turned out to be Irish, Scottish and Welch. My smallest percentages (4% and 2%) were Turkish, Iranian and Eskimo (how cool is Eskimo!?). I definitely recommend trying out the service if you're African American/Black. A $69 investment that's well worth it IMO.

That said, no wonder I love Nigerians so much lol. And in homage to my newfound reconnection, I'm hitting you guys with some Ankara realness. How litty is this cape I got from Melange Mode? They sell a variety of clothing made in chic African prints and guess what... you can use my code, MM15SHAYLA to get a discount when you check out;) 

Since I wanted the cape to stand out, I used it to top off a simple shirt, skirt and bootie look. Hello, Fall. Are you guys feeling this look? And have you guys ever tried DNA kits? If so, which ones? I'd love to hear about your experiences.

xx Slim
SHARE:

3 comments

Blogger Template Created by pipdig